Latitude: 45º 38′ North
Longitude: 13º 45′ East
- Port areas: about 2.3 million sq.m of which about 1.8 million sq.m of free zones.
- Storage areas: about 925,000 sq.m of which about 500,000 sq.m under cover.
- Length of docks: 12 km
- Number of berths: 58 (for conventional ships, multi-purpose vessels, container ships, Ro-Ro/ferries, oil tankers, chemical tankers, passenger ships etc.)
- Maximum depth: 18 m.
- Length of rail track: 70 km.
The roadstead of Trieste is divided into three anchorage areas:
- Roadstead A: reserved for tankers.
- Roadstead B: reserved for tankers and ships carrying dangerous goods.
- Roadstead C: reserved for other ships.
There are two channels for entering/leaving the roadstead:
- North Channel: for ships bound for or coming from the Old Free Zone, the Maritime Station, the New Free Zone, the Dockyard, the Timber Terminal and the Ironworks.
- South Channel: for tankers, ships bound for or coming from the industrial canal and ships that cannot use the North Channel for traffic reasons.
The different areas of the port are protected by a total of 4 breakwaters.
Maritime traffic is monitored by the Trieste Harbour Master’s Office using a VTS (Vessel Traffic System).
This is obligatory for ships entering and leaving the harbour and for movements within it, except those along the same quay without using machines and tugs.
Ships up to 500 GRT and harbour service vessels are exempted.
The captains of ships bound for the Port must contact the Pilots Station at least one hour beforehand on VHF channel 14.
The harbour pilots’ corporation has nine pilots, three pilot boats and a computerised system to check the movement of shipping.
This service is provided by the company Tripmare S.r.l., which has six 5,000 BHP tugs.
The port has shoreline fuel depots with a capacity of 145,000 cu.m.
The service is provided primarily by the company Giuliana Bunkeraggi S.p.A., which has a fleet of barges.
These are available by contacting any shipping agency.
This is supplied by the company Porto di Trieste Servizi S.p.a.
CLEANING OF WATER EXPANSES AND PORT COMMON PARTS
This service is provided by the company Porto di Trieste Servizi S.p.a.
SHIP WASTE DISPOSAL
This service is provided by private companies.
There are four dry docks: the maximum size is 295 x 56 x 12 m.
MAXIMUM SHIP SIZE
No limit on length and beam. The maximum draught is 18 m.
The Port of Trieste operates on the following VHF channels:
14 (pilots and boatmen)
11 (routine traffic)
74 (fire service)
The Bora (ENE) is the prevailing wind in the Trieste area during the coldest time of the year.
The Libeccio (SW) rarely blows in summer. There are an average 20 days of fog a year, mainly concentrated in the winter months.
The maximum tidal range is about 0.85 m.
The Port of Trieste is open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.
The Airport for Friuli Venezia Giulia (in Ronchi dei Legionari) is 34 km from Trieste.