With regard to remediation of contaminated sites, the Port Authority of Trieste has been identified in the Programme Agreement on the Contaminated Site of National Interest of Trieste as the body responsible for the characterisation of the marine part of the Site, extending over an area of 15,000,000 sq.m. The Authority has been granted Euro 3,200,000.00 in funding for this purpose. The characterisation is in progress.
With regard to contaminated land sites, the Port Authority has been granted Euro 2,900,000.00 in European funding for remediation of the former Esso refinery, on the basis of a project already approved by the Ministry of the Environment.
Safety and environment
- 14 May 2012: Memorandum of Understanding between the Region, the Province, the City, the Port Authority, EZIT (Ente Zona Industriale di Trieste), union representatives and other representative bodies with the aim of agreeing a plan to redevelop the industrial area of the Servola Ironworks.
- 25 May 2012: Programme Agreement for “Environmental rehabilitation for re-industrialisation and infrastructure development of the areas included in the Trieste Site of National Interest”, between the Ministry of the Environment, the Region, the Province, the municipalities of Trieste and Muggia, the Port Authority and EZIT.
- Programme funding:
- “National Programme of Environmental Remediation and Restoration” (Ministerial Decree 468/2001) – funding granted to the Friuli Venezia Giulia Region: Euro 10,832,000.00
- Ministry of Environment funding for Trieste Port Authority – Euro 2,600,000.00
- 6 August 2012: approval at the Service Conference of the new environmental characterisation plan of the marine and coastal area and its execution.
- 23 May 2013: Partnership Agreement with the Sustainable Development Foundation for the development of an advanced, certified environmental management system for port activities.
- 14 June 2013: European funding of Euro 2,899,236.34 for soil remediation of the former Esso site, including adoption of permanent safety measures under Italian Legislative Decree 152/06
- Agreement of financial issues for full-time secondment to the Port of workers’ representatives for production site safety, in implementation of the Safety Agreement signed in 2008 at the Trieste Prefecture.
- Implementation of Port Security Plan
- Access control project Region/Insiel (Euro 1,000,000)