The total traffic volumes of the Port of Trieste in 2014 confirm the positive trend consolidated the year before in the principal transport modes.
The Port of Trieste handled 57.153.931 tons of cargo in 2014, a 1% increase compared to 2013.
The analysis by sectors reveals:
- crude oil and other liquid bulk: 42.400.849 tons (+ 0,97 %);
- dry bulk: 790.057 tons (- 19,92%), related to the conjunctural situation of the Iron Terminal;
- general cargo (intermodal and conventional traffic): + 2,62%;
- containers: 506.011 T.E.U. (+ 10,34%);
- trucks and other intermodal traffic units on Ro-Ro ships: No. 297.194 ITU (+ 9,46)%;
- passenger movement dropped down by 12,02% due to a decrease in the number of cruise ships, while the total vessel movement was 3.949 units, which is 2,40% less than the previous year.
As for the most important traffic sectors, with regard to the principal maritime transport modes – full container and Ro-Ro – the analysis highlights the tendency towards concentration due to the larger size of ships.